blog Time Hath Found Us: Hare Today Gone Tomorrow

April 12, 2005

Hare Today Gone Tomorrow

File this under weird.

Draw your own conclusions.

From MSNBC:

By George Lewis
Correspondent
NBC News

Because bunnies are such adorable little critters, people are hopping mad about a Web site called savetoby.com, filled with photos and even a video of a cute rabbit named Toby, accompanied by a threat on his life.

"On June 30, 2005, Toby will die," proclaims an anonymous author on the site. "I am going to eat him. God as my witness, I will devour this little guy unless I receive $50,000 into my account."

[...]

Animal lovers, like Sue Brennan, who runs a shelter called "Rabbit Haven" in Gig Harbor, Washington, are outraged.

"I think it's purely emotional blackmail and it was all designed to get a reaction," says Brennan. "The reaction he is looking for is money."

[...]

... skeptical about the seriousness of the anonymous threat.

"To be honest we don't know if he's actually going to eat the rabbit. We don't even know if there is a rabbit."

[...]

Harebrained idea of two college students...


Truth or fiction? I'm sorry to say that the uncertainties in this story somewhat approximate the uncertainties of the Mae Magouirk saga.

Editors note: Sorry for the lame title. It's late, strange story, twilight zone parallels and my dog ate the original title...